Fly Tying Competition
ARE YOU LORD OF THE FLIES?
Thread your bobbins with the best in a new single-day fly fishing competition
*NEW EVENT FOR 2018*
Join Costa at Vail Brewing Company in Solaris Plaza for the inaugural Iron Fly fly tying competition at the GoPro Mountain Games. Top flies receive cash prizes AND a brand new pair of Costa shades.
Participants must be 21 or older to participate.
Friday, JUNE 8
4:00pm – 6:00pm
IMPORTANT: Competitors must arrive at Vail Brewing Company at 3:45pm SHARP to set up their station for a 4:00pm competition start.
COMPETITION FORMAT & RULES:
- Competitors will have three challenges testing classic tying skills, creativity and speed (not necessarily in that order). Expect to tie with mystery ingredients!
- Each round will see 10 competitors eliminated with the final round determining the winners.
- After the formal fly-tying competition, Pig Farm will throw an all-inclusive Iron Fly for new and burgeoning fly tiers. One lucky winner from the Iron Fly will get a set of Costa Sunglasses.
- Please arrive at the Red Lion between 3:30 and 3:45 pm for a 4:00 pm sharp competition start!
- Judges will be Blane Chocklett and Hilary Hutcheson.
- This event is capped at 30 participants
- Competitors must bring their own vise and tying tools including scissors, bobbins and knot-tying tool.
- All materials and hooks will be provided.
$40 – includes 1 beer per participant (21 years and older)!
1st – $300 + Costa sunglasses
2nd – $200 + Costa sunglasses
3rd – $100 + Costa sunglasses
Iron Fly Open: Costa sunglasses
Vail Brewing Company in Solaris Plaza