Kids Cast & Catch
GIVING THE GUPPIES A GO
Kids 14 & under now have a chance to show off (or test out) their fishing skills in this technique and pond fishing competition.
Friday, JUNE 7
IMPORTANT: Registration for this event closes Wednesday, June 5 at 6pm.
Kids 14 & under now have a chance to show off (or test out) their dry land technique and pond fishing in this casting and catch & release competition.
Friday, JUNE 7
- 9:00 am: Venue description and demonstrations
- 9:30 am: Angler practice on either or both of the dry land venues. No fishing.
- 10:00 am: Shotgun start on each of the three venues
- 10:20 am: Venue Rotation 1
- 10:40 am: Venue Rotation 2
- 11:00 am: All anglers fish the pond
- 12:00 pm: Competition ends; winners announced.
IMPORTANT: Competitors must arrive at 3:45pm SHARP to set up their station for a 4pm competition start.
COMPETITION FORMAT & RULES:
- Maximum age: 14. This is a non-gender-specific event. All anglers compete against all other anglers regardless of gender.
- Competitors must provide their own rod/reel. We shall provide leader and fly for the two dry land portions of the competition. Competitors provide their own leader, tippet, and flies for the fishing portion.
- Scoring will be a combination of the scores generated from each of the two dry land stations as well as the number of TROUT caught and length of three (3) measured fish.
- You may only measure three fish in the tray. If one falls shy of the 12” minimum, no bonus, but still counts.
- This is a Casting as well as a Catch and Release event.
- Anglers must keep the fish alive and in good health until the judge can safely measure the fish.
- Your judge must record all three fish and you must provide a photo to document your three measured fish.
- The competitor may assist the judge with the measuring process to ensure safety of the fish.
- Measuring tube will be used to determine length of fish, pinching tail down is permitted.
- Lay net in measuring tube to protect fish and to speed measuring process.
- Pinched barbs on ALL hooks – barbless hooks ok, as well.
- Any fly rod is allowed! Each angler may have up to two rods (2) rigged if desired.
- All fly fishing tackle is allowed with the exception of pegging! Only fish caught IN the mouth count!
- Judges make final call on whether or not the fish was hooked and landed fairly.
- Judges (nor parents) are not allowed to fish nor are they allow to assist in the netting of any fish.
- Fly fishing only. No lures, live baits, or artificially scented baits.
- All Colorado Fishing Rules & Regs (no more than 3 flies at one time) must be followed.
- Dry Land:
- Point system TBD for both accuracy and distance challenges within each of the dry land venues.
- Each & every fish scores 10 points including the fish measured for length.
- On the measured fish, 2 bonus points per 1 inch, round to the nearest 1 inch. Again, 12” minimum!!! Examples: 12” fish equals 2 bonus points. 17” fish equals 12 bonus points. 20” fish equals 18 bonus points.
- Take picture of all three fish 12 inches or better in fish tubes (measure and record).
REGISTRATION LAUNCH // February 6 – April 5, 2019
EARLY BIRD // April 6 – May 27, 2019
EVENT PRICING // May 28 – June 9, 2019
1st – New Rod, Reel, Line, Waders, Boots & Tippet Spool
2nd – New Rod & Reel
3rd – New Reel
Bighorn Park in East Vail