NOT YOUR MOMMA’S FISHING COMP
Experienced angler and oarsman duos take on the Eagle River to see which team of 2 can catch the most fish from Edwards to Wolcott.
Catch Wars takes a 2-person team + 1 judge and sends them down a selected stretch of Eagle River twice in hopes of catching the most fish and scoring the most points.
In Round 1, one partner is the designated oarsman while the other partner fishes (catch & release) and the judge, well… judges. In Round 2, the two teammates switch roles and take on the Edwards to Wolcott stretch again. The more fish caught (and safely released!) the more points the team earns.
Is the thrill of competition not enough to entice you? Take your shot at a hefty new prize purse and some sweet YETI gear! The top team will also win entry into the Sunday Fishing Final for even more epic prizes.
Format & RULES:
- 2-person teams (non gender-specific); each team member shall row the chosen stretch of river and each team member shall also fish the chosen section of river.
- Competitors MUST be experienced oarsman and capable of running Class 3+ to Class 4+ whitewater.
- Competitors MUST know and be competent on this stretch of river. Event Organizers & Messmer Ventures personnel shall verify qualifications and/or competency.
- There will not be whitewater safety personnel provided.
- Competitors must provide their own raft/cataraft with room for three people total.
- Organizing Committee shall provide a judge to accompany each boat during each of the runs down the river.
- Scoring will be a combination of number of TROUT caught and length of your three (3) measured fish.
- You may only measure three fish in the tray. If one falls shy of the 12” minimum, no bonus, but still counts.
- This is a Catch and Release event. This is also a TEAM EVENT! Work together with your partner!
- Anglers must keep the fish alive and in good health until the judge can safely measure the fish.
- Anglers MAY NOT bank and/or wade fish. All fishing and landing of fish MUST occur from the boat.
- Your judge must record all three fish and you must provide a photo to document your three measured fish.
- Competitors may assist the judge with the measuring process to ensure safety of the fish.
- Measuring tube will be used to determine length of fish, pinching tail down is permitted.
- Lay net in measuring tube to protect fish and to speed measuring process.
- Pinched barbs on ALL hooks – barbless hooks ok, as well.
- Any fly rod is allowed!!! Each angler may have up to three rods (3) rigged if desired.
- All fly fishing tackle is allowed with the exception of pegging! Only fish caught IN the mouth count!!!
- Judges make final call on whether or not the fish was hooked and landed fairly.
- Judges are not allowed to fish nor are they allow to assist in the netting of any fish.
- Fly fishing only. No lures, live baits, or artificially scented baits.
- Colorado Fishing License is required for all anglers – be prepared to show your license at the venue.
- All Colorado Fishing Rules & Regs (no more than 3 flies at one time) must be followed.
- Please obey all access and trespassing signage. No access to private property, even to measure a fish.
- Life jackets are mandatory, type of your choosing. Anglers must provide own PFD as well as an extra for judge.
- Maximum of 1.5 hours (90 minutes) from put in to take out.
- Start position within the 20 boats shall be randomly selected.
- Once on the water, boat position no longer matters. Only time matters.
- Each and every fish scores 10 points including the fish measured for length.
- On the measured fish, 2 bonus points per 1 inch, round to the nearest 1 inch. Again, 12” minimum!!! Examples: 12” fish equals 2 bonus points. 17” fish equals 12 bonus points. 20” fish equals 18 bonus points.
- Take picture of all three (3) fish 12” or better in fish tubes (measure and record).
- Late arrivals will be penalized 10 points per team per minute (unless river emergency).
REGISTRATION LAUNCH // February 5 – April 4, 2020
EARLY BIRD // April 5 – August 16, 2020
EVENT PRICING // August 17 – August 23, 2020
TOTAL PURSE: $1,750
1st Team – $1,000 ($500 per person)
2nd Team – $500 ($250 per person)
3rd Team – $250 ($125 per person)
2nd Team – YETI gear
3rd Team – YETI gear
Additional Catch Wars prizes to be announced!
Eagle River, Edwards to Wolcott