SUP Surf Cross
A Stand Up Paddle battle royal on Gore Creek. Protective gear is a must for this every-man/woman-for-themselves format.
IMPORTANT: Athletes must arrive at Whitewater HQ on the promenade 45 minutes before race start to check in, attend race meeting and pick up competition bib.
The first to survive this sprint from the Covered Bridge to the International Bridge will take the top spot on the podium. Think Snowboarder Cross or Skier Cross on SUP boards in class II-III Gore Creek. It’s going to be rowdy.
Open – Men
Open – Women
- Boards must be inflatable and may not exceed 11′. Boards will be measured.
- PFD, helmet, protective footwear, and a full-legged wetsuit or drysuit are mandatory.
- No leashes allowed.
- No double-bladed paddles, multi-hull boards or foot rudder steering systems.
- Athletes must have a D-ring, leash plug or way to install a safety loop on their board. This will help facilitate the retrieval of any unmanned boards. Safety loop materials will be provided on-site.
- Athletes must wear competitor bibs outside their PFD at all times. For athletes that podium, we ask that you wear your competitor bib for awards.
- Event organizers and whitewater rescue teams are not responsible for equipment rescue and/or equipment removal from the GoPro Mountain Games whitewater courses should athletes lose their equipment during practice or competition.
FORMAT & rULES:
- Athletes must arrive at Whitewater HQ on the promenade 45 minutes before race start to check in, attend race meeting and pick up competition bib.
- Athletes will be placed in heats by Event Staff based upon previous results or at random. Final number of heats will be determined the day of the race in accordance with total number of athletes registered for the race. Special requests for start times will not be accepted.
- The race will begin with either a ground or floating start format.
- Start location or “pole position” choice always goes to top finisher from previous round or fastest time from SUP Sprint within the heats and continues down the line.
- False starts will be penalized by 2 positions if the starter does not recall the heat immediately after the start.
- Paddlers may be required to navigate around no less then two (2) slalom style gates, buoys, or natural obstacles. The imaginary vertical plane of the gate remains whether the gate is swinging or not. The paddler must navigate properly with whole body and part of board. Gate penalties will be determined and announced on day of the race.
- Any intentional contact with the gate will result in a penalty or disqualification.
- This is a clean ‘Boarder Cross’ style race where board contact is permitted.
- Competitors may not take any strokes while on knees, butt, or stomach. Competitors may go down to a knee in a defensive position but not proactively.
- Each paddler must start and end the race standing on their own board.
- A competitor’s finish will be official when their entire body crosses the finish line while holding their paddle.
- Competitors may NOT throw their paddle to finish the race.
- Both hands must remain on the athletes paddle at all times. No intentional grabbing, shoving, hitting or horseplay. Any of which will result in disqualification.
- Top finishers will advance to the next round. Number of racers advancing in each round will be determined on race day. Rounds will continue until a winner is determined.
Race start is located riverside below 10th Mountain Whiskey in Vail Village and the finish location will be announced day-of depending on water levels.
REGISTRATION LAUNCH // February 5 – April 4, 2020
EARLY BIRD // April 5 – August 16, 2020
EVENT PRICING // August 17 – August 23, 2020
TOTAL PRIZE PURSE: $1,700
1st – $500
2nd – $250
3rd – $100
1st – $500
2nd – $250
3rd – $100
Custom YETI Awards for top 3 winners within each category.
First place male and female Pro category finishers will win an epic piece of YETI gear!