Down River SUP Sprint
DODGE THOSE COLORADO COCONUTS
Super SUP-ers put their speed and skills to the test in this race down Gore Creek against the creek and the clock.
Mirrored off the classic Down River Kayak Sprint, the Down River SUP Sprint is a race against the clock in the heart of Vail on Gore Creek. Anyone up for the challenge will run this 3-mile stretch of Gore Creek from East Vail to Vail Village SUP style. Competitors must stand strong because snow melt from the nearby Gore Range makes for icy waters while navigating the class II/III course. Mix in a handful of low bridges, drops, and wave trains as paddlers battle it out in the SUP’ing of Gore Creek.
BOAT DROP INFO:
You can drop your boat/board at the top of the Vail Parking Structure, the night before the event, Friday June 5 from 4:00-7:00pm. Event staff will be onsite to help you load your boat into a covered box truck that will be locked and secured. This option is HIGHLY recommended and will make your morning of the race much easier. You will only need to show up to the morning meeting with your paddle, pfd and other personal gear. You can also drop your board at Vail Village Parking Structure the morning of beginning at 6:30am.
Open – Women
17 & Under – Men
17 & Under – Women
- Boards must be inflatable and may not exceed 11′. Boards will be measured.
- PFD, helmet, protective footwear, and a full-legged wetsuit or drysuit are mandatory.
- No leashes around ankles or wrists. If paddlers choose to wear a leash, it must have a release system that can be hand-activated and should also have an emergency break-away system.
- No double-bladed paddles, multi-hull boards or foot rudder steering systems.
- Athletes must wear competitor bibs outside their PFD at all times. For athletes that podium, we ask that you wear your competitor bib for awards.
- Event organizers and whitewater rescue teams are not responsible for equipment rescue and/or equipment removal from the Mountain Games whitewater courses should athletes lose their equipment during practice or competition.
IMPORTANT: Event staff will run a board/boat drop on the top level of the Vail Parking Structure from 4:00 – 7:00pm on Friday.
For additional information on the stretch of river or gear rental, call Alpine Quest Sports at 970-926-3867.
Format & Rules:
- Athletes should arrive at the put-in in East Vail no fewer than 45 minutes before their race start time to go through gear check, attend safety meeting and pick up their competition bib.
- The race is run in time trial format. Athletes will start in thirty (30) second intervals, and starting positions will be determined by registration date. Special requests for start times (even to allow board-sharing) will not be accepted, and no start-time swapping is allowed. Athletes must be ready at their designated starting time. Start times will be posted online Friday by 8:00 pm.
- Paddlers who lose their equipment, require a rescue of any kind and/or appear to be excessively falling or swimming will be pulled from the course by the safety team. Paddlers who lose their gear and exit the river will receive a DNF.
- If a paddler is being overtaken by another “faster” paddler from behind, they must yield to the faster/overtaking paddler in a safe and respectful manner. This will not affect a penalty or DQ unless the paddler being overtaken used blocking or any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct.
The race start is in East Vail at the end of Aspen Lane. There is no parking available, so athletes may be dropped off or take the shuttles provided by Lakota Guides and Timberline Tours starting at 6:30am on Saturday from the top of the Vail Parking Structure. Please allow plenty of time to make the pre-race meeting at 9:45am.
Athletes must use the supplied porta johns at the put-in and respect the Aspen Lane neighborhood.
The race finish is just East of the Covered Bridge in Vail Village (see course map).
DIRECTIONS TO PUT-IN:
From Vail Village: head east on South Frontage Road about three (3) miles. Take right on Aspen Lane. This road is located right before you go under the highway. Put-in is located at end of Aspen Lane, at the “T” intersection of Booth Creek Lane.
REGISTRATION LAUNCH // February 5 – April 4, 2020
EARLY BIRD // April 5 – August 16, 2020
EVENT PRICING // August 17 – August 23, 2020
TOTAL PRIZE PURSE: $3,000
MEN – Open
1st – $750
2nd – $500
3rd – $250
WOMEN – Open
1st – $750
2nd – $500
3rd – $250
Custom YETI Awards for top 3 winners within each category.
First place male and female Pro/Open category finishers will win an epic piece of YETI gear!
17 & Under – Overall Men & Women prizes TBA