Down River R2 Raft Sprint
USE THE BUDDY SYSTEM
Peel out onto Gore Creek with your best pal in this classic 4-mile river rat race.
IMPORTANT: Athletes should arrive at the put-in no less than 45 minutes before their race start time to go through gear check, attend safety meeting and pick up their competition bib. These times are 7:15am (Wave 1), 9:15am (Wave 2) and 11:15am (Wave 3).
Identical in format to the Down River Kayak and SUP Sprints, the R2 Raft Sprint is a 4-mile raft race (two person rafts) on the Class II/III whitewater of Gore Creek from East Vail to the Covered Bridge in Vail Village. With a rally race format, rafters drop at timed intervals and teams will be racing against the clock. Rafts will be provided for competing teams (but you can bring your own paddle, if you want).
DON’T MISS: 10 competition used Hyside rafts will be available for purchase after the race.
Open (Team of 2)
Note: due to boat restrictions we will run 3 waves of 10 teams. This event will be capped at 30 teams total.
- Required Gear: Coast Guard / ISO approved PFD, helmet and protective footwear.
- Dry-suit or wetsuit recommended.
- Hyside Mini Max boats will be provided for all teams (thank you, Hyside!). No other boats permitted to keep competition standardized
- Organizers encourage athletes to bring their own paddles, but paddles will be available if needed.
- Athletes must wear competitor bibs outside their PFDs at all times. For athletes that place on the podium, we ask that you wear your competitor bib for awards.
- Event organizers and whitewater rescue teams are not responsible for equipment rescue and/or equipment removal from the Mountain Games whitewater courses should athletes lose their equipment during practice or competition.
FORMAT & RULES:
- Athletes should arrive at the put-in no less than 45 minutes before their race start time to go through gear check, attend safety meeting and pick up their competition bib.
- When registering, rafters will select a heat (8:00am, 10:00am or 12:00pm) and must adhere to that heat start time.
- The down-river races are run in time trial format. Athletes will start in thirty (30) second intervals within their heat and starting positions will be determined by registration date. Special requests for start times will not be accepted, and no start-time swapping is allowed. Athletes must be ready at their designated starting time.
- Paddlers who lose their equipment and require a rescue of any kind and/or appear to be excessively falling and swimming will be pulled from the course by our safety team. Paddlers who lose their gear and exit the river will receive a DNF.
- If a paddler is being overtaken by another “faster” paddler from behind, they must yield to the faster/overtaking paddler in a safe and respectful manner. This will not affect a penalty or DQ unless the paddler being overtaken used blocking or any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct.
The race start is in East Vail at the end of Aspen Lane. There is no parking available, so athletes may be dropped off or take the shuttles provided by Lakota Guides and Timberline Tours starting at 6:30 am on Saturday from the top of the Vail Parking Structure.
Athletes must use the supplied porta johns at the put-in and respect the Aspen Lane neighborhood.
The race finish is just East of the Covered Bridge in Vail Village (see course map).
IMPORTANT: This is a team event. When registering, please make sure to have your teammate’s email. First registered team member will pay and then invite their teammate. All participants for a team must be registered by August 16, 2020.
REGISTRATION LAUNCH // February 5 – April 4, 2020
EARLY BIRD // April 5 – August 16, 2020
EVENT PRICING // August 17 – August 23, 2020
Total Prize Purse: $1,500
1st Team – $750 ($375 per person)
2nd Team – $500 ($250 per person)
3rd Team – $250 ($125 per person)
Custom YETI Awards for top 3 teams.
First team finishers will win an epic piece of YETI gear!