X-STREAM WHITEWATER CARNAGE
Fun for rafters and spectators, Raft Cross combines the speed of down river sprints with the water slaughter of 8-Ball.
Similar to the 8-Ball Kayak Sprint, the Raft Cross is a raft race (two person rafts) on the Class II / III whitewater of Gore Creek in Vail Village. Two person teams will have a chance to showcase their speed, agility, and aggression in a timed qualifying run through the heart of Vail Village on Gore Creek. Teams will then be placed in “race pods” of no more than three teams to go head to head in the Vail Whitewater Park (1/10th of a mile). The winner(s) advance to the next round. Along the way, rafters will have to navigate no less than 2 upstream gates and don’t forget; RAMMING IS ALLOWED.
10 competition used Hyside rafts will be available for purchase after the race.
Friday, June 8
IMPORTANT: Registration for this event closes Friday, June 8 at 2pm
Open-Teams of two (2)
Required Gear: Coast Guard / ISO approved PFD, helmet and protective footwear. The start and gates are designed to promote swimming in shallow, snowmelt conditions.
Dry-suit or wetsuit recommended.
Hyside Mini Max boats will be provided for all teams. No other boats permitted to keep competition standardized
Organizers encourage athletes to bring their own paddlers, but paddles will be available if needed.
Athletes must wear competitor bibs outside their PFDs at all times. For athletes that place on the podium, we ask that you wear your competitor bib for awards.
Athletes must arrive at Whitewater HQ on the promenade 45 minutes before race start to check in, attend race meeting and pick up competition bib.
Athletes will be placed in ‘race pods’ or heats of no more than three boats, based upon: 1) their 2017 GMG Raft Cross result, 2) their 2017 GMG R2 Raft Sprint result, or 3) At random. Final number of heats/pods will be determined the day of the race in accordance with total number of athletes registered for the race. Special requests for start times will not be accepted.
- The race begins with competitors starting in a ‘land start’ format at the Covered Bridge.
- The horn will blow and rafters will sprint 200 meters to the finish line at the International Bridge.
- Rafters will have to navigate no fewer than two (2) upstream gates. Both team members must be in the boat and get around the gate. Any intentional contact with the gate will result in a penalty or DQ. Teams who miss a gate will be penalized. Intentionally skipping a gate will result in a DQ.
- Both hands must remain on the athletes’ paddles at all times.
- Competitors may NOT throw their paddle to finish the race.
- No grabbing or horseplay. Ramming another team’s boat is allowed.
- Both team members feet must attempt to remain in their raft at all times.
Top finishers will advance to the next round. Amount of racers advancing in each round will be determined by amount of athletes in each pod. Rounds will continue until a winner is determined.
Race start is located riverside by Loaded Joe’s and the finish location will be announced day-of depending on water levels.
LAUNCH PRICE – 24HRS ONLY (1/26 @ 4PM – 1/27)
EARLY BIRD (1/28-2/28)
Total Prize Purse: $1,500
1st Team – $750 ($375 per person)
2nd Team – $500 ($250 per person)
3rd Team – $250 ($125 per person)
SUP & Raft Cross Put In @ Covered Bridge
SUP & Raft Cross Take Out @ International Bridge